Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Honesty


Do you ever hear a word, a normal word, a word you use all the time,
and suddenly it sounds different and you think
"That is the strangest sounding word."
Then you write it down and realize it even looks strange.
No?
Maybe it's just me.

Okay, check this.
I'm really trying to be more honest with myself.
Remember my post about preparing for a party and wanting to be real?

I have been faced with another challenge.
Due to my extended families schedules, I am forced to hold Christmas this Sunday.
Not my choice. I'm not ready. I cannot afford a tree until the following weekend.
I thought about putting one on a charge card but that seems ludicrous.
Instead, I have decided to be honest. I put up this...


Yes, friends. It is a Charlie Brown Christmas tree!
I love it!
It was given to me by a friend.
It is fitting for our upcoming gathering.
We are all struggling in this economy.
We have all agreed to forgo gifts.

Once again, in the spirit of honesty, I thought about saying, 
"Screw the house too. I'm not cleaning one lick."
Yup. That's honesty.
I do say screw.
And I don't like to clean for others.

That's when the word hit me funny.
Honesty.
 I wrote it down.
Not only did it sound funny but it looked funny too. 
I went a step further and looked up the definition.



Honesty
1. the quality or fact of being honest; uprightness and fairness. 
2. truthfulness, sincerity, or frankness. 
3. freedom from deceit or fraud. 


I thought, "It kind of looks like 'hone' and 'sty'.
So I looked them up as well.


Hone
to make more acute or effective; improve; perfect
Sty
1. a pen in which pigs are housed and fed. 2. any filthy or corrupt place


 Ha!
Busted.
I was trying to use honesty as an excuse to be lazy and not clean at all.
Cop out.
I like a clean house, just not an anal retentive white glove house.


It looks like I better get honest with my bad self and hone my sty for Christmas!
Bah Humbug!










7 comments:

Caroline said...

Well you know how I feel about honesty! Have fun cleaning your sty :)

Oh yeah..that totally happens with me and words. All of a sudden one word will just start sounding so weird.

John said...

Wow, what a great post. I love the Charlie Brown tree. The most important part though is not what can be seen, it is what can be felt with the heart. Your guests are coming to share in a home filled with love.

Robin said...

Oh God, I LOVE your tree!! It's the best!! I have always been a fan of Charlie Brown trees!!

beth said...

i love your tree....i have a charlie brown one of sorts, too and it's my favorite :)

and often i find myself looking at words thinking how strange they look and then writing them again and asking the hubby what he thinks.....

weird !

Glenn Stenson said...

I love your tree and am fascinated by words too. Honestly, you have a perfect pigpen where all the little porkers are happy. That's all that matters.

Jennifer Richardson said...

brilliant share....thank you:)
And I LOVE your Charlie Brown tree!
-Jennifer

Eydie Kugler said...

I love your honest tree.
You weave your words together so brilliantly.
hugs

Related Posts with Thumbnails